Sunday, November 22, 2009

Advent 1c - Jeremiah 33:14-16

Jeremiah 33:14-16


We’ve spent the week of Thanksgiving camping on the Texas gulf coast for years and as our departure grows closer I can practically smell the salt sea air and taste the shrimp and Red fish and oysters. I can hear the surf and I know there’ll be at least one big wave with my name on it. I hesitate to confess that I have stepped into my wet suit once or twice this week and picked up my boogie board while watching surf movies on DVD. Dude!
The days are surely coming is a promise that the time of waiting will one day be over and the long expected Savior of the nations will come. Of course we’ve had a sneak peak at what is coming while the house of Israel and Judah held onto the promise in the dark. We’ve seen and celebrate the Righteous Branch born in a stable, crucified on a cross, raised on the third day.
And so now we wait for something more, when what is old will become new and what is broken will be made whole. Sorrow will turn to joy, wailing into dancing, and death itself will be swallowed up by life that is unending when that day surely comes. In the meantime we anticipate that day best by putting on the future in the present through acts of kindness and mercy and living in love. Sort of like putting on your wet suit to watch Blue Crush. Dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment