Monday, September 27, 2010

Pentecost 19c - Habakkuk 1:1-4; 2:1-4

I attended the Mission Council meeting of the Northern Texas Northern Louisiana Mission Area this weekend which was held at Briarwood Lutheran Retreat Center near Copper Canyon, TX. I always go for an early morning run through the subdivision next to the camp when I stay there and this Saturday was no exception. About half way into my run it started to rain so I turned around and even though I’ve run those streets a dozen times before I must have made a wrong turn and suddenly the way back didn’t look anything like the way I’d come. I kept running because I was soaked already and still had songs on my playlist. (It’s one of my running rules – you can’t stop until the music does) Just when I thought I’d have to give up and ask for help I saw the large gates that mark the way in and for me the way out. The answer to the prophet’s plea, “How long, O Lord” is a vision written so a runner may read it. It is for people lost and lonely, surrounded by strife whose eyes see only wrong-doing and trouble. It is a word for the weary whose play list is played out and just when it appears as if there is no help, help appears. The vision does not lie and is as plain as the gates that even through the pouring rain mark the way out which is the end of running and beginning of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment