Friday, November 5, 2010

All Saints Year c -conclusion

Daniel 7:1-3, 15-18; Psalm 149; Ephesians 1:11-23; Luke 6:20-31
My good friend, Pastor John Foster of Shepherd of Life Lutheran Church, planned his funeral service years ago but at some point decided he’d like to be there so every year on the Sunday closest to his birthday the people of Shepherd of Life celebrate John’s service while he is still in the flesh. I suppose it’s not that different from Lisa, love of my life, saying the only person she wants to hear preach at my funeral is me. In many ways All Saints Sunday is about celebrating the future in the present as we remember the saints who’ve gone on before as if they’re still here, which of course they are. On the other hand All Saints is about being saints before being saints, if you know what I mean. Despite Daniel’s troubling visions one trusts the kingdom come. The praise the Lord psalm ends on the couch and not with the two edged sword. The Ephesians eyes of the heart enlightened live the hope of the future in the present. And the Blessed are you anticipates what will be while living what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment