Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Easter 3a - Psalm 116

Psalm 116
I find “I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice” most comforting when followed by “precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of the faithful.” Truth is if God healed all who cried out “save my life!” the planet would be crowded beyond capacity. So while we pray for healing, even when the pangs of death surround our loved one, we offer the sacrifice of praise no matter what happens because we believe “whether we live or whether we die we belong to the Lord.”

1 comment:

  1. At the core of this honest humility is a response to blessing. Perhaps we don't often respond with active thanksgiving because we don't often stop to really comprehend all of the ways we have been blessed. The Psalmist escaped calamity and in that moment paused to rejoice, understanding that he hadn't been lucky but blessed. I'm quite sure we've all had similar momentary experiences, and then within days have fallen back into our old self-serving habits. Perhaps, as much as I hate to admit it, there is a valid argument for community here. Perhaps, at its best, community reminds us of our blessing.
    I like Peterson's handling of it: " What can I give back to God for the blessings he's poured out on me? I'll lift high the cup of salvation—a toast to God…I'll complete what I promised God I'd do, and I'll do it in company with his people, In the place of worship, in God's house, in Jerusalem, God's city. Hallelujah!"

    ReplyDelete