Friday, August 19, 2011

Pentecost 10a - conclusion

It has been quite a week for the Heinze household. Twenty years ago on the 17th, trusting the promise of Jeremiah 29:11 and a plan to prosper our relationship, Lisa and I said “I do” although the more significant vow was “in freedom and joy I bind my life to yours”.  A week later I said “I do and I ask God to help me” to the vows of ordination though twenty years after the fact I think Lisa needed to say “God help me” out loud as well. On our twentieth anniversary we moved Joshua, our first born, to Cisco, TX to start his college career, after which his sister Mary rejoicing in her “only child” status made an anniversary dinner for her parents who were too pooped to do it for themselves.  It is an adventure for us all and in spite of less than encouraging national and global news we like the prophet Isaiah recognize that God has blessed our beginning. With the psalmist we give thanks with our whole heart for God’s goodness in the past and trust God’s providence in the future. We marvel at our son who is a living sacrifice to God, as decent a man as any father could ever hope to have, although most of the credit goes to his mother. And finally with the Gospel we confess that the rock upon which we stand can never be shaken and is more than able to overcome times of turmoil for God has come down to be with us in the person of Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Once again your post has brought a tear to my eye and a glow to my heart. Praise be to God for His never ending love.

    ReplyDelete