Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pentecost 20b - conclusion


The Red River Rivalry was a rout for the third straight year and then Jeter breaks his ankle in the Yankees loss to Detroit making for a sad day in the Heinze household. It’s enough to make me stay in bed this morning but that’s not an option for the preacher on Sunday. So I think I’ll use the words of the prophet to say something about the arrogant and the psalm about learning to number your days because you never know when diving for a ground ball will end your post season play. I could also point out from the Hebrews lesson that the Lord sympathizes with losers. And maybe the rich young man’s question “what must I do to be saved?” could apply to the Longhorn’s season. But I think instead I’ll preach the Good News that God is bigger than our rivalries and more important than any game – of course, I’m still going to pray we beat Oklahoma next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment