Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Epiphany 3 A - Psalm 27:1, 4-9

Psalm 27:1, 4-9
I don’t know about you but I can think of more than “one thing” to ask of the Lord and even when I’m all “pastored up” I’m not sure I want to “dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.” Of course we tend to think these passages refer to the house of the Lord in heaven but that is not quite true to the text. David longs for the comfort of the sanctuary where the “man after God’s own heart” (Acts 13:22) can find sanctuary and be “hidden” from the real life enemies that surround him. But let me take some liberty with the text as well and say we might be too good at hiding in the sanctuary and an isolated life that longs to gaze forever on the beauty of the Lord doesn't help a single soul. On the other hand if the song of the sanctuary is sung fearlessly outside the sanctuary so that the “enemies” hear it in the same way the singer does there may come a time when the light and salvation of the Lord is shelter for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment